We’re so excited for another summer season of Sound & Cinema, presented by Texas Lottery®! This annual paring of music & films takes place on the lawn of the Long Center and is a perfect excuse to hang out with friends on a Wednesday, sample bites from Austin’s delicious food trucks, and let the kids stay up past bedtime on a carefree summer night.
We can’t wait to do it again! Here’s 10 Reasons why you should head to Sound & Cinema this year:
1. Watch Movies — Bring a blanket and get comfy to watch films under the stars! The Long Center lawn provides the perfect setting outdoor movie-going, and the Alamo Drafthouse sets up their giant inflatable screen so everyone can see. Check out this year’s lineup of films:
- June 21: Princess Bride (PG)
- June 28: Raising Arizona (PG-13)
- July 19: Galaxy Quest (PG)
- July 26: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (PG-13)
2. Listen to Live Music — With each night of Sound & Cinema, you’ll get to hear a live concert from one of Austin’s most popular bands performing a musical tribute to the movie before each screening. Look who’s playing this year:
- June 21: ICING (covering Cake)
- June 28: The Quaker City Night Hawks
- July 19: Special Guest (TBA)
- July 26: A Giant Dog
4. Eat — There are so many mouth-watering food options available on site, including the always delicious Garbo’s, Mama Fu’s, Moojo Ice Cream, Newk’s, Rosarito’s, Slab BBQ, The Peached Tortilla, and Uncle Louie G’s.
5. Drink — Unlike many other outdoor venues, you can grab a beer, cocktail or glass of wine while you settle in for a night of fun at the Long Center. (For 21 & up only, obviously.) Full bar service on the terrace will offer a variety of cocktails, craft beers, and non-alcoholic drinks.
6. Enjoy Activities — Stop by the Do512 & Do512 Family tents for a variety of extra activities such as giveaways, face painting, screen-printed t-shirts, games and more. Stay tuned for all the details to come about these special additions!
7. Play on the Lawn — Bring the kids early to run around! The big open green space in front of the Long Center is perfect for letting the kids run around, play frisbee, throw a ball and get some energy out before the show starts.
8. Check Out the City Views — The view from the Long Center lawn provides the most spectacular view of the Austin city skyscape. Take it in, take a photo and celebrate your love for our great hometown.
9. Meet Friends — Sound & Cinema is the ultimate place to meet up with family & friends of all ages. Plan a night out with the gang, meet for dinner, and enjoy a casual hang. It’s also a great place to make some new friends, too.
10. It’s an Austin Tradition — Since 2013, Sound & Cinema has been a summer party for the whole community. It’s a perfect mix of entertainment, food, and friendly Austin vibes. Let the kids enjoy this time with you and make some memories!
Guests are welcome to bring personal water bottles, folding chairs, blankets, and pets (leashed, on the lawn only). Alcoholic beverages of any type, coolers of any kind, glass bottles, illegal substances, weapons, boom boxes or amplified sound, marketing leaflets or other promotional items are not allowed. Parking is available in the Long Center garage, and there will also be extra bike racks at the Long Center for each event.
Do512’s Sound & Cinema 2017 is made possible by support from the Texas Lottery®, The Long Center, Brown Distributing Co., LIVE Soda Kombucha, St. David’s Healthcare, Austin Eastciders, Twisted X Brewing, and United Heritage Credit Union.
Can’t wait to see you there!