Zilker Theatre Productions present its 56th Annual Zilker Summer Musical – Oklahoma! Catch it this Friday, July 11 at 8:30 pm at the Zilker Hillside Theater for free (though donations are greatly appreciated)! The production will then run through the weekend and continue every Thursday – Sunday evening until Saturday, Aug. 16.
Rodgers & Hammerstein’s first collaboration established the rules of musical theatre still being followed today. It remains one of their most innovative productions and the Zilker Theatre Productions team is pleased to bring it to Austin this summer.
Set in a Western Indian territory just after the turn of the century, the high-spirited rivalry between local farmers and cowboys provides the colorful background against which Curly, a handsome cowboy, and Laurey, a winsome farm girl, play out their love story. Although the road to true love never runs smooth, with these two headstrong romantics holding the reins, love’s journey is as bumpy as a surrey ride down a country road. That they will succeed in making a new life together we have no doubt, and that this new life will begin in a brand-new state provides the ultimate climax to the triumphant OKLAHOMA!
There are some common questions about attending the musical so Zilker Theatre Productions came up with some Hillside Etiquette 101:
- Blankets may not be put down before 6 pm and plastic tarps are not allowed. This is to keep the Hillside lush and green. Unattended blankets will be lovingly folded by City employees and placed on the wall for pick-up.
- Our ADA accessibility allows for designated seating for our audience members with special needs. The first level (stage level) will be available for these patrons. Please contact us if you feel you will need any special assistance.
- High-backed lawn chairs are allowed against either wall, & lower chairs and blankets can be placed in front of the lighting poles on the 2nd level. A clear walkway on the 2nd level must be maintained at all times.
- ZTP often needs to reserve spaces for our cast members families as well as our donors. Please respect these marked areas.
- Austin in known for it’s friendliness and in order to make the most efficient use of The Hillside we encourage you to place your blankets as close together as possible. Get to know your neighbors! Take up only as much room as you need! Or offer to share with those in less fortunate viewing spots!
- Please leave your pets at home. We have found that the subtleties of musical theatre are lost on most household pets.
- After the curtain call, the actors will line up at the edge of the stage to sign autographs, and have their pictures taken. (Hillside Tip: Bring your own Sharpie marker!). Please remain in front of the stage at all times, & keep a close eye on your children!
- The City of Austin charges $5 per car for parking and there is limited handicapped parking in the lower parking lot.