Want to score cool points with your kids? Include a visit to the SXSW Gaming Expo during Spring Break. The best part is that it’s free to attend! You can check it out on Thursday, Mar. 17 through Saturday, Mar. 19 from noon – 8 p.m. each day at the Austin Convention Center. The Gaming Expo is the epicenter of gaming culture during the festival — drawing developers, manufacturers and fans from all facets of the community.
- Thursday, March 17 | 12 – 8 p.m.
- Friday, March 18 | 12 – 8 p.m.
- Saturday, March 19 | 12 – 8 p.m.
–> Location: Austin Convention Center, Southside, Exhibit Halls 1 & 2
–> Highlights of the event:
- Geek Stage: Looking to meet your favorite celebrities, witness never-before-seen of footage of the latest products, or simply geek out? They’ve got you covered with our best lineup of programming yet! More info.
- Esports Tournament Stage: Witness a spectacle of raw, epic power as the Gods of Smash clash in the heart of SXSW. With thousands of dollars on the line, who will emerge victorious?
- Tabletop Experience: Try out the latest arrivals, as well as long-time classics, with an exclusive library of over a hundred games.
- Indie Corner: The greatest indie games from around the world have come to make their break on the big stage right here at SXSW. It’s up to you to play through these 40 amazing games and decide which ones should take home our Gamer’s Voice awards during the SXSW Gaming Awards ceremony.
- Free Play PC Arena: Utilize the fully-decked out line of gaming rigs at the Free Play PC Arena to play tons of the latest games on the market. Feeling adventurous? Sign up for one of our daily tournaments!
- Mod Madness: Join your fellow game breakers and game makers during the Mod Madness event! With all the greatest mods to your favorite games, you’ll be completely set for an afternoon of fun.
- Videogame History Museum: The Videogame History Museum is really bringing back the classics at SXSW with a curated selection of games representing the past 25 years of gaming history.
- Free Play Arcade Bunker: Joysticks and gamepads are making a comeback at the Free Play Arcade Bunker with arcade cabinets and great games for all! Check this area out to relive those classic games you remember from years ago.
- Gamer’s Voice Stage: Can’t get enough of the indie takeover? Then join your favorite indies from the Indie Corner as they take the stage to pitch their games in front of hundreds of your fellow SXSW Gaming Expo attendees!
- 4th Annual Cosplay Competition: It wouldn’t be a true gaming event without paying respect to all the wonderful cosplayers out there in the world!
To learn more about the 2016 SXSW Gaming Expo and to read details about scheduled events, take a look at the SXSW Gaming Expo webpage.