Friends, let’s PARTY during Spring Break! With all of the cool events that take place this time of year during the SXSW festival, we want to make sure that you get partake in some of this excitement, too, with the kids. Please join us at our 3rd Annual Family Picnic, presented by Howdy Honda, on Tuesday, March 14 from 3-7 p.m. at The Midway Food Park!
We’ve had the greatest time throwing our Do512 Family Picnic in the past few years, and we don’t want you to miss it! Here’s why you should come:
1. FREE Family Fun! We know you’re looking for activities to fill the kids’ Spring Break with good times. Bring ’em out and wear ’em out at this totally FREE event. All we ask is that you RSVP here because we’d love to know how many of you to expect. No tickets required.
2. Music — Live Music Capital of the World? Yes, ma’am! With SXSW also happening, it’s a great time to check out all sorts of new music. The party starts at 3 p.m. with the folk songs from Red Yarn (here all the way from Portland, Oregon). Then, enjoy the soulful funky sounds of Austin’s Mama K & the Shades at 5 p.m. And then feel the groove with awesomely happy music from Kupira Marimba at 6 p.m. Let’s dance!
3. Magic & Puppets — Let us entertain you! Red Yarn will be around all day to delight kids of all ages puppetry. And at 4 p.m., kids and parents alike will be in awe of Magician Black Bert‘s captivating show.
4. Play Time — The Midway Food Park offers a huge space to run and play as well as a really awesome playscape in this park-like setting in South Austin off of the Capitol of Texas Highway. Kids can also jump for joy on a variety of Springfree trampolines that will be set up in the park, too. Play-Well TEKnologies will also be at the event asking for your help building a model of the City of Austin using tens of thousands of LEGO® materials! All families are invited to help achieve this goal.
5. Art Activities & Face Painting — Kids can take part in special hands-on art activities with Creative Action. And get festive with free face painting throughout the event.
- Dock & Roll Diner
- Revolution Vegan Kitchen
- Beirut Austin Food Trailer
- Stoney’s Pizza
- Celia Jacobs Cheesecake Experience
- Louie G’s Italian Ices
Please take note that no outside food is allowed at this venue, but you won’t need to worry with so many great food options to choose from.
7. Location & Parking — Avoid driving through the downtown hustle and bustle during SXSW. The Midway Food Park is away from it all and includes restrooms and free parking. (There is a small parking lot that will fill up very fast. But you are welcome to park along the side of the road.)
8. BYOB — Want to kick back with some beer or wine while you relax on your picnic blanket? It is a party afterall. You’re are welcome to bring your own beverages. Coolers are allowed for adult beverages and water. (Do consider cans instead of glass.)
9. Hang with Friends — This event is a great place to hang with your friends! Invite all your pals and neighbors to chill with you. Let the kids play while you and your buds catch up and have a good time.
10. Swag & Cool Stuff: — Be sure to stop by our Do512 Family table for free sunglasses and sunscreen (while they last). But we’re also happy to have our amazing sponsors out there sharing cool giveaways and providing you with info about their services. While you’re there say “hi” to Howdy Honda, Springfree Trampolines, Creative Action, the Folde, Austin Resource Recovery, High Brew, Deep Eddy Vodka — and join us in thanking them for making this event happen.
We truly can’t wait to see you there!