You likely know Esther’s Follies for their long-running Austin comedy review with SNL-style sketches and political musical numbers. But did you know that this funny troupe of entertainers also offers a summer camp for kids?
Esther’s Follies School of Comedy for Kids offers special summer camp sessions for ages 8-16 from June 12 through August 11. These week-long intensives are taught by the talented cast of Esther’s to teach kids and teens the art of tomfoolery. Students sing & dance and practice the fundamentals of sketch comedy and improv. At the end of each camp session, students get to do a performance in the iconic Esther’s Follies Theater.
- Basics of improv – Basics of improv will teach students the necessary skills to create a comedy sketch based on suggestions from the audience. Students will learn several classic improv games, as well as how to create a narrative scene by working together.
- Basics of sketch comedy – Students will perform comedy scenes while learning the basic skills of the stage, from blocking and slapstick comedy to character creation.
- Basics of stand up – Students will learn fundamentals including: comedic storytelling, pop culture satire, impressions, one liners, and how to handle those pesky hecklers.
- Breaking the Window – Students will learn how to perform to an audience through Esther’s Follies iconic window overlooking 6th street. This will include choreography, making large scale props and signs and working together as a team to convey humor framed through the window.
- Hungry Games – At the end of each day campers will get the chance to put their skills to the test. Practical theater knowledge, tools they’ve learned that day and competitive silliness combine as students divide into teams and see who has the chops to survive backstage at Esther’s!
Each camp session costs $325, and you can register online here or by calling 512-320-0553.
We hope your funny kids have a great summer with Esther’s!