What’s better than sinking your teeth into a big slice of juicy, cold watermelon on a summer day? How about that PLUS a parade, car show, live music and tons of free fun for families?! The 67th Annual McDade Watermelon Festival takes place on Saturday, July 11 when visitors from all around central Texas can come celebrate this delicious summertime fruit while enjoying small-town community spirit at its finest. The fun kicks off at 8 p.m. on Friday, July 10 at the big Street Dance in downtown McDade, TX (about 40 min. east of downtown Austin). Then on Saturday, July 11, you’ll be able to head over to the Watermelon Festival Grounds and enjoy a car show, parade, music, BBQ, a water slide & games, a seed-spitting contest and much more! Free admission!
Schedule of Events:
–> Friday, July 10, 8 a.m. – midnight
The Street Dance in downtown McDade kicks off the festival on Main Street with live music with The Kenny Orts Band.
–> Saturday, July 11 — all day!
- 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Car Show
- 9 a.m. – Breakfast tacos, arts & crafts and concessions begin
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – McDade’s Historical Museum open with free admission
- 10 a.m. – Live music
- 10:30 a.m. – Grande Parade on Main Street
- 11 a.m. – Live music, BBQ & concessions open, booths & water slide open
- 11:30 a.m. – Horseshoe pitching contest
- 2 p.m. – Seed spitting contest
- 2:30 p.m. – Washer pitching contest
- 5 p.m. – Prize Melon Auction
- 7 p.m. – Queen’s Coronation followed by FREE melon feast!
The Car Show: The car show will be open from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday next to the festival grounds. Registration is free and will be from 8 – 11:30 a.m. Judging begins at 11:30 a.m. Door prizes are awarded during the judging. Prizes will be awarded at 2 p.m. in special categories for the show, which always draws a big crowd.Some of the special categories include Street Rods and Customs, Tractors, Motorcycles, Unique Cars/Trucks, Rat Rods and Automotive-related Displays.