Each spring, Austin area poultry keepers open their backyards to the public to show off their chickens and their urban coops during the Funky Chicken Coop Tour. This year’s tour takes place on Saturday, Apr. 4, and if you are thinking about keeping chickens in your own backyard, this is where you’ll get some great ideas. You can begin the day as early as 8:15 a.m. with a stop by Coop Tour Headquarters at Sunshine Community Gardens for free events including classes, educational booths, a chicken puppet show for kids and more. Then you can take your own self-guided tour of coops around Austin from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
–> Schedule of FREE Events at Sunshine Gardens on Saturday, Apr. 4:
- 8:15 a.m. — Tour HQ opens to public
- 8:30 a.m. — Booths open
- 8:30 a.m. — Getting Started with Chickens, presented by Cameron Molberg of Coyote Creek Organic Feed Mill
- 9:30 a.m. -10:30 a.m. — Home Composting class. Get a free compost collection pail!
- 10:30 a.m. -11:30 a.m. — Chickens in the Garden, presented by Heather-Nicole Hoffman of Compost Coalition
- 12 p.m. — Chicken BIG puppet show for kids, a production of Literature LIVE! of the Austin Public Library. Performance subject to weather conditions.
- 1:30 p.m. — Booths close. People are welcome to continue to purchase coop viewing tickets until 4 p.m.
- 4:00 p.m. — Tour HQ at Sunshine Community Gardens closes (and Tour ends at coops across town).
–> Tickets for the Funky Chicken Coop Tour:
The self-guided tour takes place from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Tickets will be $10/person on tour day and $8/person in advance for ages 13 and over. You can purchase tickets online here. Children 12 and under are free! To view the locations of coops on the tour, click here.
Enjoy the tour!