Whooooo’s ready to learn a lot about birds? If you give a hoot about these beautiful creatures, take note of the big Celebration of Urban Birds will happen at a variety of events in Austin this February and March. Enjoy family-friendly fun that includes birding walks, flight demos, bird-themed crafts, bird house construction, face painting and more. The Austin Parks and Recreation Department, Travis County Audubon Society and Capital Area Master Naturalists are joining forces to host these celebrations, and below you’ll find details on the events that are especially kid-friendly.
Celebrate Urban Birds at one of these Free Family-Friendly Events:
–> Saturday, February 20, 1-4 p.m. @ Elisabet Ney Museum
Learn more about our feathered friends. More than grackles and pigeons, from warblers to hawks, many can be found in an afternoon at a Certified Wildlife Habitat like the one at the Ney. Activities include:
- Presentation by UT Professor Robin Doughty on Avian Invasives at 2 p.m.
- Bird walks at 1pm and 3pm led by Cindy Sperry
- Face painting booth to become your favorite bird
- Construct an elaborate bird house from recyclable materials
- Create bird masks, beaks, and clay bird feeders!
–> Saturday, March 5, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. @ Austin Nature and Science Center
Enjoy a fun-filled day learning about birds! Activities include:
- Bird Walks with Michael Jewell and Janel Nye at 10:15AM & 11:15AM, and with Cindy Sperry at 11:45AM (Meet at the welcome table just east of the building entrance)
- Birds of Prey Tour
- Live Bird Comparisons at 11:00AM, 12:00PM, and 1:00PM
- Bird Strike Prevention with Nancy Townsend
- Making bird toys
- Crafts for kids
–> Sunday, March 13, noon – 4 p.m. @ UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum
During this monthly Free Family Day, make bird masks and deflectors, do bird yoga, and enjoy live music, storytime and more. Families have the opportunity to explore the UMLAUF while engaging in creative activities.
–> Monday, March 15, 1-4 p.m. @ Dove Springs Recreation Center
Check out two Birds of Prey Flight shows at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.. Sebastian Casarez will be presenting bird calls!