Have you ever wanted to take the kids fishing, but you have no idea where to start? Well, there is a really cool program called Go Fish! where you can learn how to fish at various Texas State Parks for free! In fact on Saturday, Oct. 4, you can participate at nearby McKinney Falls State Park at 9 a.m.
Check out these highlights of the Go Fish! program:
- No fishing licenses necessary in Texas State Parks.
- Some loaner rods and reels available.
- Bait provided.
- Fun, hands-on learning for ages 5 and up.
- Door prizes.
- Bring hats, sunglasses, water and be ready for a good time.
- Some sites offer fly fishing classes.
This October, you can participate in a variety of state parks. At each site, families will learn the basics of fishing through fun, hands-on activities. Kids can take away a fishing fun pack and enter to win prizes. Equipment and bait is provided or you can bring your own. No license is necessary. Adults must accompany their children. Registration start time is 9:00 a.m. at each location.
Go Fish! Schedule:
- October 4, McKinney Falls State Park
- October 18, Cedar Hill State Park
- October 18, Galveston Island State Park
- October 25, Lake Whitney State Park
While the fishing program is free, you will still need to pay regular park entrance fees. The fees at McKinney Falls State Park are $6 for adults, and children ages 12 and under are free. For more info about this program and pricing at other State Parks, click here.
Go have fun! Hope you catch a big one!