Mamas, we love you! We want your day to be special whether you’re hanging out with your mom, spending time with the kids, celebrating with your mama squad or squeezing in some quality alone time. Below you’ll find some of our top suggestions for a lovely Mother’s Day in Austin.
–> What to Do with Your Mom:
- Take her out for tea. Check out The Steeping Room, Full English Cafe, or a fancy high tea at the Four Seasons or the Driskill.
- Go see a show. Snag some tickets to Ballet Austin’s Alice (in Wonderland) or listen to the Austin Symphonic Band play a free concert at the Capitol.
- Visit a museum or garden. You can’t beat a stroll through the gardens at the Umlauf or Laguna Gloria or Zilker Botanical Garden. Browse the art collection at the Blanton or celebrate all things Texas at the Bullock.
- Enjoy some water views. Go for a walk together on the Hike & Bike Trail on Lady Bird Lake or enjoy a leisurely ride on the Lone Star Riverboat. Dine by the waterside at Ski Shores Cafe or County Line on Lake Austin. Or soak in the stunning views of Lake Travis at The Oasis.
- Go out for breakfast. Skip the fancy brunch for something that appeals to kids and parents. Click here for our list of Best Family-Friendly Brunch.
- Make a splash. Everyone loves a little fun in the sun. Go on a family outing to Schlitterbahn Waterpark or take a dip in Barton Springs or Deep Eddy Pool.
- Make keepsakes. Get crafty with the kids and make some memories with clay creations or art to cherish at Cafe Monet, the Art Garage, or Painting with a Twist.
- Go for a hike. Get out and enjoy the fresh air on a trail that you and the kids can navigate together. Check out our picks for 10 Best Hikes for Families.
- Visit the animals. Take your own little monkeys to visit the real ones. Walk the trails of the Austin Zoo and say hello to our beloved rescue animals for a fun family outing.
- Go on a picnic. Skip the fuss for a fun, hassle-free day in the park. Pack up some food, a blanket, frisbee, etc. for an easy-going family time. Here’s a list of some of our favorite picnic spots in Austin as well as our favorite playgrounds.
–> What To Do with Some Alone Time: We’re pretty sure you don’t need a lot of ideas when it comes to this rare opportunity. But if Dad and the kids are offering you the chance to take a break and go have some quiet time to yourself, here’s a few suggestions.
- Take a spa day. Get a massage, facial, pedicure or whatever your heart desires. Viva Day Spa, AWAY Spa at the W, or Milk + Honey Day Spa can hook you up with maximum relaxation.
- See a movie. Go see a grown-up movie, get a beer or a cocktail and settle in for a show at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema.
- Get your own presents. Sure the kids might pick out some cute stuff for you, but a little shopping on your own might be fun. Browse one of our favorite Austiny gift shops for locally-made goods. Check out the Modcloth Shop in the 2nd Street District or browse the many stores at The Domain or the Hill Country Galleria.
–> What To Do with Your Friends: Gather your mama tribe and celebrate each other. Whether this happens on Mother’s Day or sometime in the near future, don’t forget to give love to the ladies who keep you going.
- Get cocktails. There’s no shortage of fun places to go out for drinks with the gals. Check out these lists of best wine bars, beer bars and top spots for margaritas. Or stop into Bribery Bakery where you can treat yourself to desserts and drinks.
- Go dancing. When is the last time you went out dancing? It’s kind of a top level Mom’s Night Out activity. Go let off some steam at one of these best places to dance in Austin.
- Get away. Wouldn’t you love to get out of town for just a little bit? Try some antiquing in Round Top, visit Chip & Joanna’s Magnolia Silos in Waco, visit a winery in Fredericksburg.
- Celebrate at our Pre-Mother’s Day Party at ModCloth during the 2nd Street Social on Thursday, May 11! From 6-8 p.m., the Do512 Family team will be in the store with complimentary drinks from Austin Cocktails, a braid bar from Milk + Honey, makeup touch-ups from Rae Cosmetics, raffles, and a great discount — 20% off purchases of $100 or more. Click here to RSVP.
Mother’s Day Giveaways: Moms, we’ve rounded up some great gifts just for you! Take a chance on winning a $100 Kiki Nass gift card, tickets to Ballet Austin’s Alice (in Wonderland) — and MORE! Click here to check out all of the special Mother’s Day goodies.