Get your bikes ready and plan on enjoying the day outside at the Southern Walnut Creek Trail Grand Opening on Saturday, Oct. 25, followed by the FREE, inaugural Austin BikeFest! Check out the trail and enjoy live music, food trucks, kids activities and even taste some Texas-made microbrews.
We first told you about the Southern Walnut Creek Trail in September (read our writeup here), and the time for the official grand opening is here! You are invited to join state and local dignitaries, city staff and community leaders for the 8:30 a.m. ribbon cutting of the 7.3-mile hike and bike trail that extends from Govalle Park to City park land on Johnny Morris Rd.
The family-friendly bike fun will be from 10 a.m. – 5 pm. at the Austin BikeFest.
The day will include a family-friendly bike ride along the newly-opened trail, and activities and music will continue until about 5 p.m.
- Music from Blue Mist, The Staylyns, Continental Drift, Riders Against the Storm and DJ Chorizo Funk
- BikeTexas KidsKup Race
- Kids Adventure Zone, presented by Texas Gas Service, with a Halloween costume contest and a (tentative) bicycle fashion show
- Austin City Council Candidates
- Bicycle raffle drawings and cool bike stuff giveaways
- Slow Races, Bicycle Polo, Unicycle Football League of San Marcos and other bike games – bring your wheels and join the fun!
- Food trailers – Wholly Kabob, Rollin’ Smoke BBQ, Snappy Snacks and Austin’s Pizza
- Texas-made microbrews and small batch libations from live Oak, Independence and Austin Eastciders
- Booths by local bike shops and bike-stuff makers with special BikeFest deals
- Ride the newly-paved Southern Walnut Creek Trail with supported rides of 3, 8 and 15 miles starting at 10 a.m., register for free here.
- Bicycle Valet Parking, presented by Dero Bicycle Racks
- And more!!
This event is free, so you are more than welcome to just show up. However, if you would like to either register for free, or register with donation, you can do so here. Registering will get you one free raffle ticket that you can use for a chance to win a new bike and other prizes! Drawing will be at 2 p.m. on the day of event and you must be present to win.