Get ready to “run, run as fast as you can” and can catch that silly Gingerbread Man! Thinkery has an adorable event coming up for kids of all abilities on Saturday, Nov. 18 where they can chase the festive Gingerbread Man around Muller Lake Park. In addition to the (almost) 1K, Thinkery’s first-ever Gingerbread Fun Run will also include lots of seasonal hands-on activities for the entire family in Mueller Park as well as inside the museum.
Thinkery is teaming up with Variety, the Children’s Charity of Texas to ensure this Fun Run is open and accessible to kids of all abilities. The mostly paved and mostly flat route around Mueller Lake is wheelchair- and walker-accessible, with one unpaved 30-foot section covered in decomposed granite.
–> Registration Information: Participants ages 2-18 years old must register as a “Candy Cane Runner” and each get the following included with their registration:
- Swag bag
- Official race number
- Completion medal
- 10% off Gingerbread Workshop registrations for the entire family for reservations made the day of the Fun Run
- Museum entrance on the day of the event for the registered child
Registration Fee: Candy Cane Runner registration is $18 for members or $22 for non-members. Each runner can have 1 free accompanying adult per registered child. And ages 0-23 in strollers are also free. You can sign up online here!
Please take note that all participants, regardless of age, must register—including infants in strollers and accompanying adults.
Race Times: Because the route path is narrow, there will be multiple start times with a limit to the number of registrants per heat:
- 9:30 a.m. – Ages 2–5 years old and participants with disabilities
- 10 a.m. – Ages 2–5 years old and participants with disabilities
- 10:30 a.m. – All ages and all abilities
- 10:50 a.m. – All ages and all abilities
- 11:10 a.m. – All ages and all abilities
- 11:30 a.m. – All ages and all abilities
Event Activities in Mueller Lake Park:
9 a.m. – noon
- Miniature horses from Variety – the Children’s Charity of Texas’ Peaceable Kingdom retreat for children
- Carnival games and prizes with Alamo Drafthouse Mueller and Barrel O’ Fun
- All ages and all abilities obstacle course challenges with Mylo Obstacle Fitness the host of Austin’s Kids American Ninja Warrior Competition
Activities Inside Thinkery:
9 a.m. – noon
- Enjoy for special winter-themed activities, including “snowball” fights, igloo explorations, snowflake designs, winter wonderland stop motion animation, and story time at 11 a.m.
To learn more about the Gingerbread Fun Run as well as other special events, including Gingerbread House Workshops, please visit thinkeryaustin.org.
–> Giveaway: We have a pair of Gingerbread Fun Run race registrations to give away! Enter below. Good luck! Entering the giveaway will add you to the Do512 Family email list, where we let you know about the best family events in Austin each week.
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks to all who entered!