Nature-lovers, get ready for a very cool event on Saturday, August 27! The annual Swift Fest takes place in downtown Jonestown, Texas from 4:30 -10 p.m. Witness hundreds of small birds, chimney swifts, arrive in a tornado-like sight! Celebrate this annual phenomenon at a FREE festival with a great line-up of live music, art, games & activities for kids, great food, contests, and bird-watching, of course.
About the Chimney Swifts:
A historic cistern located in downtown Jonestown serves as home to migrating chimney swifts that stop over here between late March and September. While in Jonestown, the birds spend their days catching and feeding on insects, but at dusk they all gather at the cistern. On some unknown cue, the small birds begin to individually drop into the cistern, a tornado-like sight fascinating to watch.
Swift Fest celebrates these remarkable birds and their annual visit to our community. The festival culminates at the cistern where festival-goers watch the “Swift Drop”, the birds’ evening return. Biologists count the number of birds currently residing in the cistern and prizes are awarded to those who correctly guess the number of birds.
- 4:30 – 5:15 p.m. –> Jackie Venson
- 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. –>Eve & the Exiles
- 6:45 – 7:45 p.m. –> John Gaar Band
- 7:45 – 9 p.m. –> Swift Drop: Watch the Chimney Swifts enter the cistern and prizes will be awarded to contest winners.
- 9 – 10 p.m. –> David Pulkingham
- Family Fun: Enjoy games and activities for children of all ages. Different stations offer fun activities for kids to learn about Chimney Swifts and nature. Travis County Fire and Rescue will be back at Swift Fest this year with a fire engine available for the kids to explore.
- Vendors: From unique bird feeders, to Swift henna tattoos, to amazing photography and artwork – come prepared to do your holiday shopping and have some fun.
- Local Nonprofits: Learn from wildlife conservation partners doing important work in the Texas Hill Country who will have booths at Swift Fest.
Directions: The City of Jonestown is located 10 minutes west of Cedar Park (approximately 30 minutes northwest of Austin) on F.M. 1431, nine miles west of the intersection of U.S.183 and F.M. 1431. It is held in the area behind the City of Jonestown offices and at Fireman’s Park.