Learn about, play on, and celebrate Texas trees at a free event this weekend that includes fun events for the whole family. It’s all happening at the Tree Talk Winter Walk event at the Texas Arboretum at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center on Saturday, Jan. 25 from 9 am – 5 pm. Kids can climb trees with professional arborists, build a fort with tree limbs and branches, go on a tree scavenger hunt and more while adults learn tree care tips and purchase native woody species for planting.
There will be guided walks and talks by experts and lots of family-friendly activities including Kids’ Tree Climb sponsored by They Might Be Monkeys, Build a Fort, Marshmallow Roast, Swing in the Cathedral of Oaks and a Tree Scavenger Hunt. TreeFolks is providing native tree saplings to those who complete the scavenger hunt. There will also be a tree and shrub sale to help you replace any drought-stricken non-natives you may have with hardy Texas natives and plant more for the future.
SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
*All activities held in the Mollie Steves Zachry Texas Arboretum.
Walks & Talks
(Meet at the Tent Area)
- 10 am -> State Champion Trees – Eric Beckers – Texas Forest Service
- 11 am -> Understory Trees – Kari Gaukler – TreeFolks
- 12 pm -> Trees for Habitat – Jane Tillman – Travis Audubon
- 1 pm -> Landscaping with Trees-Elias Guerrero-Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- 2 pm -> How To Keep Your Trees Strong- Don Gardner, Consulting Arborist
- 3 pm -> Oak Wilt Identification & Treatment- Chris Dolan, City of Austin
Exhibits (Tent Area)
- 10 am – 3 pm -> Kids’ Tree Climb sponsored by They Might Be Monkeys! Texas Tree & Land Co. (Oak Motte Area)
- 10 am – 3 pm -> Fort Building (By Tree Climb)
- 9 am – 3 pm -> Scavenger Hunt
- 9 am – 5 pm -> (Tent Area)
- Capital Area Master Naturalists “TREE-mendous Trees!” activity for kids 10 and older and families
- Discovery Tables (featuring leaves, berries, bark, bird nests)
- Count Tree Rings
- Make paper tree cookies
- Make leaf rubbing booklet
- What Comes from a Tree
Tree & Shrub Sale
The plant list is updated daily leading up to the sale. Some species are available only in limited quantities and sizes so check back often for the latest list. Please bring a wagon to load up your plants. CASH or CHECK PREFERRED.
Prices do not include sales tax. Wildflower Center Members receive a 10 percent discount. CASH or CHECK PREFERRED.
|2 or 3 gallon||$13.00|
|10 or 15 gallon||$73.00|
Ava Love Hanna is a writer, performer, and mother of a super awesome 5-year-old. She loves exploring Austin’s best kid-friendly places with her husband and son. Read about her adventures in writing, parenting, and being obsessed with Doctor Who at avalovehanna.com.