Who’s ready to sing some Christmas carols? On Saturday, Dec. 5, you can join the community at the annual Holiday Sing-Along & Downtown Stroll. At 6 p.m., you can meet at the steps of the Texas State Capitol to sing songs of the seasons, led by John Aielli of KUTX 98.9. As the clock strikes 7 p.m., the crowd will countdown to the lighting of the Capitol tree, and then from 7-9 p.m., everyone can enjoy special activities on Congress Ave. for the Downtown Stroll. Free & family friendly!
Schedule of events:
- 6-7 p.m. — KUT & KUTX Holiday Sing-Along with John Aielli – Capitol
- 7 p.m. — Lighting of the Capitol Christmas Tree – 11th & Congress
- 7-9 p.m. — Downtown Stroll – Congress from 9th-11th
- 7-9 p.m. — Live Music with The Invincible Czars – 11th & Congress
- 5-9 p.m. — Airstream Photos with Santa – 11th & Congress
- 5-9 p.m. — Live Music from ASPVA & Bob Appel – 9th & Congress
- 6-9 p.m. — Austin Bike Zoo – Congress from 9th-11th
- 6:15 p.m. — Outdoor Film Screening: Born & Bread – Old Bakery
- 6-9 p.m. — SFC Farmers’ Market – Congress from 10th-11th
- 7-8:30 p.m. — St. Edward’s University Ballet Folklórico – South Capitol Steps
As the clock strikes 7 p.m., the countdown to the lighting of the Capitol tree begins, featuring a programmed light show at the top and bottom of every hour, set to holiday songs of local Austin musicians.
From 7 to 9 p.m. Congress Ave. will be abuzz with holiday cheer during the Downtown Stroll. Hear live music from the Invincible Czars, Bob Appel, and The Austin School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Other fun activities include the Austin Bike Zoo, Photos with Santa, an outdoor film screening, a performance from St. Edward’s University Ballet Folklorico and more! Shops, restaurants, galleries, and museums will also be open late and will feature special activities and offers.
Visitors are asked to support fellow members of the community by bringing non-perishable food or cash donations for the Capital Area Food Bank. Last year’s Holiday Sing-Along and Downtown Stroll raised over 4,055 meals for Central Texans facing hunger; over the last 4 years, it’s raised over 7,500 meals.
The Food Bank is accepting cash and nonperishable food donations at each event entrance, and cash gifts at the staffed Food Bank tent, located near 900 Congress.
This event is FREE and open to the public. Click here for information on parking and getting there.