Keep your eyes open on Saturday, Jan. 31 when hundreds of people dressed as gorillas will run through East Austin. The Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund is hosting the 5th Annual Austin Gorilla Run. Runners of all ages will don gorilla suits at 9 a.m. and run a 5K course that starts and ends at Mueller Browning Hangar.
Proceeds from the race directly benefit the Ruth Keesling Wildlife Health and Research Center in Kampala, Uganda. In 1987 there were only 248 mountain gorillas alive in the world, but through the veterinary and conservation efforts of the Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund, the population is currently estimated at 880.
— Race Registration Info:
To secure your place, all participants need to pay a non-refundable registration fee, which you can do online here. Here are the registration fees:
- First Time Adult Gorilla -> $99.95 until 1/29/15, $109.95 if purchased on 1/30/15 or 1/31/15
- Returning Adult Gorilla -> $40 until 1/29/15, $50 if purchased on 1/30/15 or 1/31/15
- First Time Little Gorilla * -> $30 until 1/29/15, $40 if purchased on 1/30/15 or 1/31/15
- Returning Little Gorilla * -> $15 until 1/29/15, $25 if purchased on 1/30/15 or 1/31/15
*Note: Little Gorillas are 12 and under. The costumes for kids include a safari shirt with gorilla sleeves as well as a mask.
When you run in the Austin Gorilla Run you will:
1) Run a fun 5K with your friends
2) Benefit mountain gorillas
3) Get to keep your gorilla suit!
4) Receive FREE Silverback Pale Ale from Thirsty Planet (for big gorillas ages 21+)
5) Enjoy a great after party