It’s time to celebrate the Lunar New Year! Austin’s Chinatown Center hosts an impressive annual party with dragon and lion dancers, firecrackers, kids activities, delicious food and more. On Saturday, Feb. 20 and Sunday, Feb. 21, everyone’s welcome to attend the Year of the Monkey Chinese New Year Celebration. Admission is free!
Chinatown Center is located in North Austin at the intersection of Kramer and North Lamar and includes a large variety of Asian shops and restaurants. During the Chinese New Year celebration, the entire area is jam-packed with exciting activities.
This year, you can enjoy a weekend-long, two-day celebration to welcome the Year of the Monkey with special performances, family-friendly attractions and food. Below you’ll find the schedule of events.
— Saturday, February 20:
- 11 a.m. -> Austin Taiko & Welcoming Ceremonies
- 11:25 a.m. -> Summit Taiko
- 11:35 a.m. -> Summit Lion Dragon Dance Team
- 12 p.m. -> Ronald McDonald Show
- 1 p.m. -> Draiku Aerial Spectacle
- 2:05 p.m. -> The Love of China School of Dance
- 2:35 p.m. -> Texas Wushu
- 2:45 p.m. -> Austin Dance India
- 3 p.m. -> Master Gohring’s Tai Chi & Kung Fu
- 3:35 p.m. -> Hawaiian Kona Isle
- 3:55 p.m. -> April Rain School of Chinese Dance
- 4:30 p.m. -> Fountain of Praise Worship Band 頌泉
- 6 p.m. -> Night Market Co-hosted by Vietnamese American Community of Austin, Texas
- *6-10 p.m. -> Concert by Special Performers (to be announced)
- 11 a.m. -> Welcoming Ceremonies
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. -> Thein Hau Linh Son Lion Dance Team & Firecrackers
- 2 – 5 p.m. -> Summit Lion Dance Team & Firecrackers