It’s the LAST weekend of August! Time to end the month with a blast. This weekend you can ice skate with a Genie, party down after-hours at the Thinkery, have TWO chances to catch a fireworks show, show off your team spirit at a tailgate party, peek behind the curtain at the Long Center, get your splashing in Cedar Park, and much, much more.
Here are our Top 10 Austin Family Events…
– Enjoy one last big party before saying “adios” to summer! Check out the after-hours End of Summer Celebration at the Thinkery on Friday from 6 – 8:30 p.m. where families can rock out with live music from the Que Pastas, learn how to make healthy snacks, and craft new lunchboxes. Tickets for members are $15/child, $17/adult, and for non-members costs are $17/child, $15/adult, and kids under age 2 are free.
– Enter “A Whole New World” at Chaparral Ice Center‘s Aladdin Theme Night on Friday from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. Kids can dress up in Arabian-themed outfits for a costume contest, pose for photos with Genie, and even go on a magic carpet ride! Admission for this special event is $10 for ages 6 and up, $5 for ages 5 and under. And in honor of Robin Williams, $1 from each admission will be donated to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
– It’s the last chance to check out the Friday night fireworks at the Dell Diamond. Take the kids to a ballgame! The Round Rock Express will be playing the Nashville Sounds at 7:05 p.m. Tickets start at $7.
– Show your Longhorn spirit at the FREE GameDay Tailgate Party at the University Co-op on Saturday from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Get an autograph from Vince Young, check out the food trucks, dunk tank, trivia tent, and lots of giveaways. Parking is free in the Co-op garage at San Antonio St & W 23rd St. Hook ‘em!
– The Hill Country Flyer from the Austin Steam Train will depart from the Cedar Park depot for a ride through the Texas Hill Country. During a stop in Burnet, TX, you’ll have the chance to watch a wild west gunfight while you take a break for lunch. The train departs 10 a.m. and returns around 4 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance online and range from $21 – $51, depending on your choice of seats. All aboard! For more info on what to expect, read our review of a recent train ride.
– Head on over to the Delco Activity Center in East Austin from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m for a big Back to School Festival where you can enjoy free crafts, face-painting, snacks and entertainment, PLUS, free health screening, free supplies and other back to school necessities.
– Cool down with some awesome water fun at Cedar Park’s annual Splash Jam at Elizabeth Milburn Park. Starting at 4 p.m., you and the kids will find tons of fun activities such as face painting, mechanical bull riding, hamster balls, carnival rides and games (for small fees) and free inflatables. The pool will be open starting at 1 p.m. (click here for pool fees), and fireworks will end the night around 8:30 p.m.
– Get those toes tapping and those little jazz hands shaking at the Long Center this Sunday, from noon – 4 p.m. for the free annual Open House. Take a peek behind the curtains on a backstage tour. You can also watch free preview performances of upcoming productions (cool!), enter ticket giveaways, enjoy kids activities and more.
– Stop by BookPeople on Sunday from noon – 6 p.m. for the Girl Scout’s Books for Babies Fundraiser. This kid-friendly event includes a magic show, face painting, treats and more. Admission is simply one new children’s book purchased from BookPeople that will be donated Dell Children’s Hospital.
– Don’t miss out on the KidSTYLE Fashion Camp & Tour at Tanger Outlets San Marcos on Sunday from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Kids can get styled, pose for photos, play games, create art, and listen to a free live mini-concert from teen recording artist Bridgit Mendler, star of Disney’s Good Luck, Charlie, at 2 p.m. If you’ve got a little back to school shopping to do, might as well save a little money while you’re at it. The Tanger Tent will be handing out coupons for 20 percent off your shopping. Sounds like a win.