For the past several years, we’ve taken our families to Barton Hill Farms in Bastrop, TX for their annual Fall Festival & Pumpkin Patch. Each year we have an amazing time. You seriously can’t beat the picture-perfect setting for a fun fall day with the family. The 10-acre lawn set between the corn fields and the Colorado River includes spectacular old cottonwood trees with swings, plenty of shade structures, food trucks, a stage for bands, a pumpkin patch and games galore. Making a trip to Barton Hill Farms has become a beloved tradition for our family, and we think you’ll love it, too. Below you’ll find our five favorite things about visiting this farm.
1. Corn Mazes: Friendly staff will greet you at the start of the maze and let you choose from a selection of cards with clues that lead you through the maze. (Note, if you’re really stumped on one of the clues, the answers are written on the bottom. So there’s no getting lost for long.)
2. Jumping Pillow: Oh my, we love this jumping pillow! It’s basically like an open-air jumpy house that feels like you’re bouncing on a cloud. Take note that there is a height limit of 52 inches (so no big kids), but parents were able to get on with really young toddlers. Pro tip: do the jumping pillow early in the day when there is hardly any line.
3. Train Rides: Bessy’s Cow Train, a kiddie barrel train, is super cute! Kids love zipping through the corn fields on a little ride. Families can also hop aboard the Grain Train to ride in bigger carts (that hold about 6 people) and ride through the corn fields while being pulled by a tractor.
4. Games & Activities: You could spend an entire day on the farm with all of the activities to choose from. And it’s really awesome that all of these fun things are included with your entrance fee (with the exception of face-painting). Kids love the giant slides, playing in the old fort, trying to beat each other to the finish line on the trike race track, or in the rat racers. They also love a game of corn hole or doing some hula hooping, too.
5. Pumpkin Patch: You’ll want to be sure you have your camera with you in the Great Pumpkin Patch. This is a great spot for a cute family photo! Kids can pick out the perfect pumpkin, and paint if for free with purchase. You’ll also be able to visit the Barnyard Farm Animals in the pumpkin patch area, where you can buy food to feed the goats & pigs.
Even MORE: Really there’s much more to note than just our top 5 favorite things. There’s an abundant selection of food for sale, there’s live bluegrass & country music playing every weekend, and we want to note that the staff on the farm is so incredibly friendly! They really welcome you and make you feel right at home for the day.
- Wear closed-toe shoes — Your feet will be happier in socks & shoes vs. flip flops on farm terrain.
- Don’t forget sunscreen and hats — While there are many shade structures, you’ll find yourself in the sun for most activities.
- The bathrooms are porta-potties — There are plenty of them and they were very clean, but you may wish to pack wipes, tissue, hand sanitizer, etc. Take note that there is also a nice diaper changing area near the pumpkin patch.
- You can bring strollers and wagons to help you carry those tired kiddos and heavy pumpkins.
- There’s plenty of food and drinks (even beer & wine) for purchase while you’re there such as bbq, hot dogs, sandwiches, & kettle corn.
We hope your family has a great day on the farm!