Fall is beautiful in Austin. It’s also a great time of year to go outdoors and capture moments of joy with the kids. Wondering where to take some family photos? We’ve got some great advice about finding the most picture-perfect settings for fall, as well as some tips about how to best prepare for your photo shoot, thanks to Lindsay Herkert Photography. Check out these terrific ideas below!
–> Park Settings:
- Brushy Creek Park — This 90-acre park in Cedar Park offers plenty of trails and a lake for a natural setting.
- Laguna Gloria* — Part of the Contemporary Austin art museum, this location includes the Driscoll Villa, beautiful grounds, sculptures and views of Lake Austin.
- Mayfield Park* — You’ll find peacocks, small ponds full of lily pads and flowering gardens at this popular Austin park.
- 360 Bridge — The Pennybacker Bridge is a classic Austin landmark that can also serve as a beautiful backdrop to your family photo.
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center* — With gardens and sweeping meadows, this is a beautiful landscape for fall photos.
- Commons Ford Ranch — This city park on Lake Austin offers plenty of scenic waterside views for a pretty photo.
- Old Settlers Park — This Round Rock park offers lots of space to run and play for great action shots.
- Mueller Lake Park — Located next to the Thinkery, the pond full of ducks offers a nice waterside view.
- Zilker Park — Austin’s beloved park offers many various settings including Barton Springs, the Zilker Botanical Gardens, and the Austin Nature & Science Center.
- Bull Creek District Park — You can’t go wrong with the beautiful trails and water views at Bull Creek.
- Texas State Capitol — The grassy, shaded grounds of the Capitol are great for kids to run and play.
- Walnut Creek Metro Park — This North Austin park offers many meandering trails.
- Onion Creek Park — Located in Southeast Austin, this park has a small playscape and many shady hiking trails.
- Lake Pflugerville — Northeast of Austin, the area around this 180-acre reservoir includes a 3-mile trail, playground, boat launch, and beach area.
- Mills Pond — Within the Wells Branch subdivision, you’ll find trails, a fishing pier and floating boat dock.
–> Urban Settings:
- South Congress Ave. — You can’t go wrong with the I love You So Much sign at 1300 S. Congress.
- Long Center & Butler Park — You can’t beat the city skyline view from the terrace of the Long Center.
- Austin Graffiti Wall — HOPE Outdoor Gallery provides a colorful, ever-changing landscape of graffiti art.
- Boardwalk Trail on Lady Bird Lake — Here you’ll find gorgeous lakeside views of downtown.
- Make sure to treat your session like a play date! If you are having a good time, this will come across in your pictures and will relax your children, and they can have a good time, too.
- Don’t tell your children to say “cheese”, and don’t worry if they aren’t smiling every second of the session. You want to capture every aspect of them, and sometimes the pensive and soulful looks define who they are more than a cheesy grin.
- Don’t bring an entourage. Bring only those members of the family who are being photographed. Children will act a lot more naturally when they don’t have to perform for an audience.
- Moms, when preparing for the photo session, pick out what you are going to wear first. The rest of the family will easily follow!
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Allow kids to be kids. A stray hair or a little dirt on the face is only going to show who your child really is.
–> More about Lindsay Herkert Photography:
Please click here to get all of the details about booking a photo session with Lindsay. To learn more about Lindsay’s work, visit www.lindsayherkert.com and follow on Facebook and Instagram, too.
–> Giveaway! Enter to win a Family Session that includes an hour at a location of your choice with a minimum of 30 edited images + black and whites (value $425). Good luck! Entering the giveaway will add you to the Do512 Family email list, where we let you know about the best family events in Austin each week.
This giveaway is now closed and the winner has been notified. Thanks to all who entered.