We were kind of freaking out a little bit when we initially heard about Austin Public Library‘s first-ever Kids Block Party. It combines our favorite things — Free Family Fun! Live Music! Authors & Illustrators! Arts & Crafts! (Are we shouting? Sorry. Just excited.)
We hope you’ll plan to come out and join us at Austin Central Library for this inaugural community event on Saturday, April 27 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. You can expect a full lineup of top notch programming from an amazing array of artists and authors. Max and Ruby fans are in for a treat to meet Rosemary Wells in person! Plus, you can enjoy free concerts from the Grammy-award winning Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band as well as our friend Hey Lolly! Plus, enjoy break dancing lessons, yoga, a scavenger hunt and more. Read on for the full schedule & to get the scoop on free transportation!
Presented by the Library Foundation, this Kids Block Party celebrates children, literacy, and learning through play and is geared for children 0-12 and their families. Enjoy six activity blocks of fun throughout the Central Library organized in these categories:
- Music and Dance
- Author Events
- Big Body Play
- Construction and Creative Play
- Technology Play
- Family Resource Fair
–> Schedule of Events:
- 10 a.m.: Bliss Kid Yoga, a nonprofit that uses yoga to teach life skills and promote family bonding
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: United Way Family Resource Fair, including several local organizations that provide resources to Austin families
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Augmented Reality scavenger hunt will be available to help you explore the Library in a new way
- 10:15 a.m.: Rosemary Wells, author of 120 children’s books including the beloved Max and Ruby books
- 10:45 a.m.: Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band, an Emmy and Latin Grammy award-winning children’s music group
- 10 – 11 a.m.: Crafts with Calder Kamin, artist whose “What a Mess” exhibit will showcase trash transformed into beautifully crafted creatures
- 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Crafts with Susan Scafati, conceptual artist whose contemporary art is on display at the Central Library
- 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Nature Scavenger Hunts and Shoal Creek Strolls
- 12 p.m.: Capoeira Luanda, an organization that practices the traditional Afro-Brazilian martial art
- 12:30 p.m.: Crystal Allen, author of The Magnificent Mya Tibbs books
- 1 p.m.: Hey Lolly, a local musician will perform an interactive, music-filled puppet show
- 1:30 p.m.: Break dancers from Break Austin will give a demonstration, choreography tutorial, and Q&A for ages 5 and up.
While you’re there, be sure to check out the new Rosemary Well’s Exhibit that opens on April 25 in the Third Floor Children’s Area that features illustrations from her book, “Yoko: Show and Tell.”
–> Free Transportation with Capital Metro
Avoid the downtown parking hassles and ride the bus! The kids will get a kick out of this mode of transportation, and you keep things stress-free and easy. You can park for free at select branch libraries and ride Cap Metro for free with a Local Day Pass. Click here for LOTS of info about the Free Local Day Pass.
For more info please visit library.austintexas.gov.
We can’t wait to see you there!