January is Get Organized Month! And thanks to the help of NAPO-Austin (National Association of Organizing Professionals) you can unload some of your unwanted items that are just taking up space in those closets & garages. They are hosting the 10th Annual Clear Your Clutter Day event at Bethany United Methodist Church on Saturday, Jan. 30 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. where you can drop off a whole carload of items for free.
–> What items can be dropped off? You can drive by and drop off one carload (per household). Here’s the list of what’s accepted:
- American Textile Recycling Service (ATRS) will accept any and all clothing (regardless of size), shoes (even singles), toys and household textiles like bedding, curtains, or towels. This includes new and gently used items as well as those with small imperfections like stains, tears or are outdated, worn or unwanted for any other reason. ATRS is your one-stop donation location for all unwanted textile items.
- Austin Diaper Bank will accept unused diapers for children or adults. New packages not necessary; they will accept partial packages too.
- BookSpring will accept new or gently used books. While they prefer children’s books, they will accept other types of books as well.
- AGE of Central TX will accept mobility assistance devices for their Health Equipment Lending Program, including wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, shower chairs, etc.
- Balcones Shred will take your paper (up to five boxes) to be shredded ON SITE (no need to remove staples or clips).
- Dress For Success will accept professional interview-ready clothing in good condition, including suits, blouses, dresses, handbags and dress shoes
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore will accept home remodeling/repair items such as working appliances, plumbing and lighting fixtures, tile, flooring, bricks and clean lumber.
- M & K Recovery Group will take used and broken computer parts, components, and other electronics to be recycled in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Settlement Home will accept usable unwanted items including furniture, art, books, clothes, home decor and holiday decorations, sporting goods, kitchen items, and small working appliances.
- Square Cow Movers will take flattened moving boxes
- Austin Cleanup & Container will take the rest of your non-usable unwanted items (a/k/a junk), including mattresses!
–> What items will NOT be accepted?
Flammable, corrosive, toxic, poisonous, reactive, or explosive materials (including paint and batteries) cannot be accepted at this event.
You’re encouraged to head over there early because the trucks may get too full as the day approaches the 2 p.m. closing time.
For more info, you can visit the NAPO-Austin website.
Good luck clearing your clutter!